Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Careful Budgeting

This last month I have gotten back into careful budgeting of my food bill. I got out of the habit for about 2-3 months and ouch! I realized I was going over the food budget weekly. Menu planning is essential. This is a typical Wednesday shopping trip for me. I go to two stores and sometimes three. I know it sounds crazy, but it works. They are all close to each other and I can stay under my $150 weekly budget. This includes 6-7 dinners, afterschool snacks and lunches for one week, and 7 or more breakfasts. Its not always easy to stick to it. Last month I went over on one week because of Halloween treats.

For about two months I was trying to stay close to $100. It was extremely difficult to do. I was wondering why and I realized that it's because everything I buy is fresh. Believe it or not, it is cheaper to cook unhealthy and out of a box. Is that insane or what? I refuse to feed my family that way, even if it is cheaper.

I know it isn't easy to stay within a budget especially for a large family, but I know you can do it!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment