Monday, January 25, 2010

Sourdough Starter



whole wheat flour and water



yeast, whole wheat flour, and sugar
This morning I walked into the kitchen 1 hour after feeding the starter and it was almost to the rim. Yahoo! This is day 3 of the starter. It takes about 7-12 days to get a good starter going that I can bake with.


Whole wheat flour, yeast, sugar, and water

When I saw that my first starter wasn't doing much, I cheated and started on one with yeast.
So, I have two going on right now.


A friend of mine in Arizona makes the most amazing whole wheat bread and rolls with her sourdough starter. She has been baking bread since she was about 11. She is truly amazing. Now, my other friend is baking with her every week and they bake several loaves for their families weekly.

Here is the amazing part about sourdough. It is a live organism that is stored in the fridge and is fed weekly with flour and water. That's it! Nothing artificial. As it sits out on your counter top and ferments, natural occurring yeast from the environment is collected through the air and forms in your mason jar. I have been reading on sourdough starters and am trying to get mine going because I am determined to learn to bake bread. Every time I try, it turns out too heavy, raw in the middle, etc. I stink at it. But I am gonna do it this time! I must! For the sake of my family!, We must stay away from preservatives and artificial sweeteners. Here's the interesting thing. My friend's bread isn't sour at all, it's more on the sweet side. If my experiment fails, a friend will be bringing me some starter from AZ. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment